Sunday, July 21, 2013

Fishing Depot Lake

On Saturday John suggested we go fishing on Depot Lake.


The boat launch is just south of town on highway 108.


While he hooked the boat up to the van, I grabbed my tackle box. Yes, I really do have my own fishing supplies. Naturally, I refuse to use real worms because, well, they're just gross. So, I use these pretty pink plastic thing-a-ma-jigs instead. The one below is almost neon. Cool, huh?!

There's always so much to see on Depot Lake. I may be wrong, but I don't recall seeing this beaver dam last summer.


The shoreline is dramatic and picturesque, and one of my favorite things to do on any lake or river is just drift along in the boat while the wind rustles the tree branches. It's serene. Pure bliss.


When it comes to fishing John and I have differing opinions. He likes shallower, weedier areas, and is always telling me the fish are down there hiding out of sight. While those weeds and lily pads are lovely to look at, they're also the place my line tends to get snagged. For that reason I prefer deep, open areas. 


One spot we both agree is a super place to fish, however, is a spot we nicknamed "Big Billy Bass Narrows". We always tend to catch something here, and yesterday was no exception. I caught a bass and two perch. I also caught one honking big ugly cat fish.

Bet you wanna know what John caught, right? Nada. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Squat!


* * *