Tuesday, November 18, 2014

People. Make. Glasgow.


The red sign on the side of the building above says it all. People. Make. Glasgow. I can personally vouch for that as I've met a few Glaswegians who definitely made me smile. 

One lady stopped me as I wandered around the food section in Marks & Spencers on Argyle Street to tell me about her encounter with a rude person while shopping. The topic of conversation soon moved on to other things and we shared a laugh or two. I'm quite certain we would've stood there all day if I'd not excused myself and moved on. 

Lady number two dashed inside the ladies restroom at the St. Mungo Museum and with a loud sigh explained she'd put her knickers on backwards that morning and because they were beginning to chafe she needed to remedy the situation.  TMI (too much information), but you have to admit it's a great story and just thinking about it still makes me smile.  

Without a doubt the people and streets of Glasgow go hand in hand. While there is graffiti as in any urban area, all of the street murals shown here were commissioned. There's even a guide book dedicated to them and the artists who created them. Dotted all around the city, here's a sampling...

Glasgow's shipping past

Elephant, walrus & bear in a bar

Tiger along the Clyde River Walkway (with John on far left)

Underwater scene (also along the Clyde)

Cats & birds just around the corner from our flat

Close-up of cat and bird

Badminton & 2014 Commonwealth Games

Our visit also coincided with the opening of the Glasgow Christmas Market. Food stalls offered everything from Dutch pancakes to Caribbean jerk chicken to Spanish paella and the aromas made us drool. Add street musicians, Christmas lights and shoppers to the mix and it was sensory overload. 

Two fun things side by side...beer & chocolate!

Arran Island cheese

mulled wine

Lifesize nutcrackers

Candy

 People definitely make Glasgow!

* * *