Thursday, June 10, 2021

Jabs, Tests & Another 20 More Years

On May 28 John and I drove from Elliot Lake back to Ottawa. From start to finish it's equivalent of a trans-Atlantic flight and that seven-hour journey always impresses and reminds us how incredibly huge the province of Ontario really is. The trip was necessary, however, as during the first week of June we received a number of deliveries from local farmers and vendors, I got my second Covid 19 jab, conversed with our GP, plus I had a follow up CT scan and blood test.

The food deliveries were easy peasy and one in particular was made all the more special because of the kindness and generosity of the talented, 8-year old, world famous author, Sabrina Schneider. Sabrina gifted me with six of her first edition stories and illustrations. Each one brought tears of joy to my eyes and filled my heart with sunshine. THANK YOU, Sabrina!




VACCINATION: In spite of the nurse's warning that I would likely have a more severe reaction this time around compared to my first vaccination jab, my only symptom was a very sore upper arm that disappeared two days later. 

TESTS: Even better are the results of the CT scans and blood test. Both my pelvis and chest are clear of tumours and the blood test result is well within the normal range. 

With all of our appointments completed, we packed the van and returned to Elliot Lake. It amazes both of us at the amount of STUFF we crammed into the van and we honestly question how we travelled to Europe for months on end with only a single backpack each in tow!

In the elevator


On the same day I also celebrated my 71st birthday. Having received a frightening prognosis last September of 6-12 months to live, it was a very special milestone. John surprised me the night before we left Ottawa with a little treat that made it all that much sweeter and we both savoured every single morsel of these delicious cakes. Mmm!

Another surprise awaited me upon our arrival in Elliot Lake. 

Since then we've added a few flowers and potted plants, while the lupins in the backyard are already in full bloom.




During the recent heatwave John cooled off in the lake.


Yesterday, we packed a picnic and headed north of town. On the shore of the Little White River we enjoyed a quiet, serene lunch, but first we stopped to take a selfie on Mount Lake.

Finally, I'd like to address the reason for "Another 20 More Years" in the title of this blog post. Last September, literally days before I began radiation, my iPhone died. In the process of getting a new one, it was necessary to change telephone numbers, and in all of the frazzled turmoil I did not renew my information with Google. 

Long story short, in April 2021, I discovered I was blocked from renewing our TLC International Housesitters site and shortly thereafter lost access to it. In fact, it's disappeared completely from the web. Fearing that would also happen to my 20 Years From Now blog, I copied and pasted every single post (459 to be exact!) to a new site. 

Unable to use the original title, I decided upon the next best thing, "Another 20 More Years"

And so, this is technically the very first blog post of this new blog, although all the previous posts from 20 Years From Now are also here. If you wish to subscribe and receive email notifications of future posts, please enter your email address into the box at the top right under the photo collage. OR, if you prefer, message or email me and I'll add you. 


Until next time...

* 💖 *