Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mount Victoria

Earlier this month John and the local hiking group went to Mount Victoria which is south of Elliot Lake. Later, he showed me the pictures he'd taken, and I was IMPRESSED I asked if he'd take me there so I could see it for myself.


The following Sunday he did just that. We packed a picnic lunch, and headed south on Hwy 108 and then east on Hwy. 17. I have to admit, almost as soon as we left the highway I grabbed the armrest and white-knuckled it as the van shimmied and rattled along the narrow, dirt road that wound its way north of the highway. Finally, we arrived at the hydro generating station. The large blue building was massive, considering its surroundings.


John and the other hikers with him the previous Thursday got to go inside, but there was no one there when we arrived, so I did my best to imagine the interior!


We drove north from there, and eventually John parked the van. He lead me down this winding ATV path that was uneven, muddy, and BUGGY. They were out in full force, and naturally, I had to ask where the heck was he taking me? 

John didn't bother to look back over his shoulder. He simply said, "Trust me." 

I've been married long enough to the guy to know he wouldn't take me somewhere I wouldn't want to go, so I shut up (yeah, I know. Me shut up. Amazing huh?) Anyway, this is where we ended up.


It was paradise. P.A.R.A.D.I.S.E! Not another human being around for miles, and the roar of the Serpent River was deafening. We were at ONE with Mother Nature!

We ate our lunch, and then simply enjoyed the peace and serenity of the place. Eventually, the clouds moved in and the bugs began to buzz, and it was time for us to move on, but it was a struggle to leave. This place by the raging river was very, very special!

From there we drove past the 'pen stock' that collects the water that drives the generating plant. It's impressive because it's constructed entirely of wood, is circular, stands taller than a human being, and still manages to contain and direct gallons and gallons of water each minute of the day as it makes its way to the generating plant. 

There were a few leaks along the way, but that's natural considering its age. Overall, the wood structure withheld  its precious cargo like a mother holding her child's hand. The little trickle of water that did escape is insignificant considering the entire pipeline must have been over a kilometer in length.


While it was still a chilly spring day, it was a fun way to spend part of the day. Better still, we did it together. In the Great White North. :)

* * *