Sunday, August 4, 2013

Favourite Pancake Recipe

A friend recently asked if I'd gotten any blueberries yet, and other than those picked by Emily I realized I would need to act fast before the season ended. So, Friday morning John and I went blueberry picking on Rooster Rock. 

 

It's an easy ten-minute walk in from where we parked the van on Stanrock Road, and I snapped this shot along the hike in. The view is always spectacular (even if my photography skills are somewhat lacking).


With all the rain we've had this summer the blueberries are plentiful, plump and delicious. We picked for an hour or so on both Friday and Saturday mornings, and in that short time we had enough berries to fill this colander twice. 


Sunday morning they tasted lovely on pancakes, and this evening I tossed in a handful onto our dinner salad. Yum!


Here's the recipe for the pancakes. It's easy, fool proof and always delicious whether you eat them plain, or with whatever fruit you have on hand.

And FYI, strawberries are just as wonderful on top as blueberries!



My Favourite Scratch Pancake Recipe:

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk 
2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar (or 3/4 T maple syrup)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

In bowl beat egg, then add remaining ingredients in order listed and mix. I use a fork, but a rotary beater will work as well. Makes ten 4-inch pancakes. 

Note: 1 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon vinegar can be used in place of the buttermilk. I make a single batch, and freeze the leftover pancakes in packs of two. On those days when I want something quick and tasty...without the fuss of cooking, they hit the spot. Just microwave pancakes on high for 1 minute. Easy peasy and yummy!

* * *