Monday, April 8, 2019

Louvre Museum: Take Two!

On April 8 we returned for a second visit to the Louvre Museum. At 782,910 square feet it is the largest museum in the world and while it is next to impossible to ever do it justice in a few hours or even days we felt we had to at least give it a try!




One section showcases Napoleon III's opulent living quarters - a reminder that the Louvre was once a home to French royalty.






Further along in yet another section of rooms, this crystal dressing table caught my attention. It's so light and airy, and yet classical in design.


In an attempt to capture it on film another visitor walked by and I caught her reflection in the mirror. I  rather like the result! 


Next, I discovered this life-size tomb of Philippe Pot (1428-1493).





Last, but not least, I was enthralled by this doorway and three column capitals (two of which are visible just beyond the archway). 


The columns pay tribute to the wine harvest and dated 1120 - 1125. 




In my mind these delicate, yet detailed sculptures illustrate the long held respect for wine and wine making in France...and quite frankly I for one am eternally grateful! Merci!

* * *