Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Farm Fresh Kale Salad

 While we were at the farm our friends served a delicious salad using their own garden fresh kale.


I'm ashamed to admit I've never known what to do with kale before and so I've avoided it, but this recipe changed my mind. It was so incredibly tasty I had to have it.



It's fancy enough to be served to guests, yet perfect for a quick and easy side salad for lunch or dinner, plus it can be kept in the fridge (in a covered container) for a number of days so there's no need to eat it all in one sitting. 


Farm Fresh Kale Salad Recipe

1 bunch kale (about 10 ounces)
1 cup toasted pine nuts (or cashews if you prefer)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 apple peeled and diced

To prepare salad tear (or cut) kale away from tough centre rib and slice into fine ribbons. Toss with apple, cranberries and nuts.

Dressing:
1 apple, peeled and cored
1.5 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1 clove garlic (the recipe called for a small clove, but I used a large as I'm a garlic-holic)
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine apple, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and curry in a blender and blend until smooth. With lid agar and blender running add the oil in a smooth steady stream. (Or ignore these instructions and do as I did, cram all ingredients in the blender and go for it!)

Pour dressing over salad and stir to cover. Do this at least 30 minutes before serving, but the longer the better. The salad will marinate in the dressing, allowing the kale to become tender.


Enjoy!

* * *