Sunday, October 31, 2021

Kale Salad - Revised Recipe

Eight years ago while visiting our friend's farm we were served a delicious salad using their garden fresh kale. It's become a favourite in our household and when I serve it to friends and family they always ask for the recipe. I realized this morning (while making it once again) that over the years I've slightly altered the ingredients and measurements and that perhaps an updated version might be a stellar idea!


What I particularly like about this salad is that most of the ingredients can be changed to suit whatever you happen to have on hand, so this newer version reflects that.

KALE  SALAD:

1 bunch kale* (about 10 ounces)
1 cup toasted pine nuts* (or any other type of nut you prefer)
1/2 cup dried & chopped cranberries
1/2 to 1 apple***, core and chop into small bits

To prepare salad remove the tough centre rib and slice the kale leaves into fine ribbons. Add the chopped apple, diced cranberries and nuts.

*Kale: I no longer worry about weight or measurement for the kale. I simply fill a large serving bowl with shredded kale.
**Nuts: I've used everything from walnuts to cashews to mixed nuts. Nor do I bother roasting them, although the pine nuts are enhanced by the process. Plus, I use a mortar and pestle to reduce the nuts to more bite-sized portions.
***Apple: Eyeball the amount of apple to suit. FWIW, I do not peel the apple. 

Dressing: (This is doubled from original recipe as it covers and softens the kale much better and I think it enhances the overall flavour.)
1 to 1.5 apple, cored
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
1 clove garlic (the recipe calls for a small clove, but I toss in at least 2 cloves)
2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. 

Pour dressing over salad and stir to cover. (I prefer to use my hands rather than a spoon.) Let rest at least 1-2 hours before serving, but the longer the better. Overnight is perfect. 

A final footnote, wherever possible I use organic kale and apples, Bragg's Cider Vinegar, and raw honey.


The joy of this salad is it will remain fresh for 3 to 4 days in the fridge - but ours never seems to last that long. ;-) Enjoy!


* 💖 *